My life has always been about music ever since I was little, and I feel blessed that I have been able to do music professionally, share my musical experience and knowledge with students worldwide. I encourage students have FUN while working on music. Playing music at whatever level you are at should be a good experience so you want to keep on playing! I strive to combine exercises in technique with a repertoire that motivates you and helps you find your “voice” on what ever instrument you are working with.
Over 25 years experience as a Private Music Instructor for all ages, grades k-12 and adult, individual, workshop and master class settings: flute, saxophone, voice, piano and clarinet technique, music theory, improvisation and composition, with a focus on jazz and classical technique, improvisation, funk, blues, popular, eastern European music, Latin and African music. 1993 – Present
- Special expertise in woodwinds (saxophones, flute, clarinet), voice, and piano;
- Music Teaching Artist with teaching and administrative experience working with students, faculty, and program supervisors in individual and group settings (USA, Canada, France, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Italy, Belgium);
- Extensive experience in composition and orchestration, conducted improvisation, graphic notation;
- Able to problem solve independently, delegate, and works well as part of a team.
- Served students with diverse backgrounds and abilities, including ESL and learning disabilities, as a teacher and mentor in public, private and religious settings.
- Ensemble Coaching:
- Dresden Compose Yourself! residency, Dresden, Germany 2020
- Jack Straw Blind Youth Music Program, Composition & Songwriting, Co-Leader, Seattle, WA 2016 – Pres.
- Villach Music School Sax Workshop, Tiptons Sax Quartet 2015 – 2020
- Michaelbeuern Abbey Choir with the Tiptons Sax Quartet, 2013, 2016, 2018
- Lana Jazz Festival Student Band Improv & Composition Wkshop, Lana, Italy 2015
- Bolzano Saxophone Workshop, Bolzano, Italy 2016
- Sax Chameleons Saxophone Octet, Dresden, Germany 2015
- Laboratorio, Conduction and Composition Workshop, Scuola dalla Musica, Rome, I. 2015
- Ourboros Sax Quartet , technique, composition, group improvising, St. John’s, NL, 2014
- Humboldt University Jazz Ensemble, 2012, 2015
- Conduction Workshop, Charlottesville High School, Charlottesville, VA, 2013
- The Circus Amok Band, 2005 – Present
- Yo! Poetry student music, poetry and dance composition workshops with dancer Carrie Stern, NYC area, 2010 – 2015
WORKSHOP/RESIDENCY PROGRAMS; LECTURES & DEMONSTRATIONS:
Program #1, Compose Yourself!: This workshop explores different techniques of experimental/free improvisation and composition in music. We will apply techniques such as Sound Ball, Conduction and group conducting, additive composition, matrix grids, call and response and structured solo to large ensemble improvisations. We challenge students to create their own compositions and improvisational games, that can provide tools and ideas for music composition. Basic competency on their instruments is helpful but not required. Participants should bring their instruments (including voices!) if they play one.
Master Class Saxophone technique:
This class is for more experienced woodwind players & musicians, and includes extended techniques on the horns, approaches to soloing modally and over changes, as we well as
analysis of how we compose and arrange for the quartet, Students will join us in playing through some of our more complex repertoire, as well have opportunities for one-on-one
instruction from members of the quartet.